Friday, November 7, 2008

Harold be thy Name...

Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
[For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.]

Gospel of Matthew... sort of


My family sat in the pew behind my grandfather at Saint Mary's Church. Our families have "owned" these pews since the church was built. It stands over looking the Cove and is surrounded by an ever growing list of my ancestors.

(I have a copy of the building permit and will post it soon)

Nanny sat with the choir and wore a long burgundy gown over her Sunday best. Grampie sat alone Sunday mornings except during the holidays. He was the first man I ever saw cry. It was the first Christmas after his son-in-law died and as he sat next to his grieving daughter I could feel the pain of not being able to do anything radiate off him. As the Lord's Prayer was read I watched undisturbed tears run down his face and realized that sometimes there is nothing you can do but bear witness.

We stood to sing Hark the Herald Angels Sing (Words by Charles Wesley - 1855 to Music by Felix Mendelssohn - 1707-1788) and I made a note to ask my mother, "if God's name is Harold, why do we call him God?"

No comments: