Sunday, September 14, 2008

"You Can't Go Home Again"

Look homeward Angel now, and melt with ruth:
And, O ye Dolphins, waft the hapless youth.

"Lycidas" by John Milton
(163-164)

The idea of "home" never came up in my story until I started this blog. Now I see that it's everywhere and probably the most important theme. Both Thomas and James did go home again. Thomas Wolfe was laid to rest in Riverside Cemetery in Asheville, NC and James Snow in Saint Mary's grave yard in Harrigan Cove, NS.

I found a kindred spirit in Thomas Wolfe. You Can't Go Home Again was published in 1940, after his death and after Look Homeward, Angel created both sides of the notoriety coin for him. The first lesson of writing is to write about what you know... then change all the names! I'm sure Thomas knew with the publication of Look Homeward, Angel some would be upset with his characterizations. But I'm sure, like me, he was shocked at the details people chose to focus their discontent on.

I recently had the chance to walk through the childhood home of Thomas Wolfe and touch a time that has inspired me to write. I'm thrilled I've given life back to people who've been resting long enough, and I'm excited that my ramblings could get a rise out of people known for going with the flow.

No comments: